Oct 19, 2017
2017-2018 Undergrad Catalog
Early Childhood Education BA and Teaching Students with Disabilities Endorsement
Click here for more information on the Early Childhood and Elementary Education Department
Required major credits: 52
Additional credits required for certification: 9
Program Code : BA-EC-TSD
With Optional English as a Second Language Endorsement: 66 credits required for Major and Endorsement (Program Code: BA-EC-TSES)
With Optional Bilingual Endorsement: 63 credits required for Major and Endorsement (Program Code: BA-EC-CTSB)
With Optional Bilingual and ESL Endorsements: 78 credits required for Major and Endorsement (Program Code: BA-EC-TSEB)
Program Specific Policies:
- Students pursuing the Early Childhood Education major must also complete a second major: Click here for a list of approved majors.
- Prior to starting the required core courses for this major, students must:
- Complete 60 credits including UCC requirements.
- Attain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA and earn a C grade or better in CIED 2120.
- Pass the Praxis CORE Academic Skills for Educators exam (#5751), or have the CORE waived with qualifying SAT or ACT scores. Click here for more information on the Praxis.
- Successfully complete an interview.
- Students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA with at least a C in every major course, and a 3.0 GPA in the education major to student teach and be recommended for certification.
Pioneer Success Seminar
Required Course: 1
University Core Curriculum (Education)
Required Credits (excluding those completed within the major): 37
Three (3) University Core Core Curriculum courses are specified for this major:
- UCC Area 1, Personal Well Being: DIS 1010 or PBHL 1100
- UCC Area 2B, Expression; Writing: ENG 1100
- UCC Area 3C, Ways of Knowing; Social and Behavioral Sciences: CIED 2120 . (One additional UCC Area 3C course is required.)
One (1) University Core Curriculum Course is completed as part of the major requirements:
The following UCC courses are recommended as especially relevant for education majors. However, students should consult with their advisors to determine whether there are UCC courses required for their 2nd major prior to enrolling in these courses:
Click here for all University Core Curriculum requirements and courses.
Early Childhood Education and TSD Required Courses
Required Credits: 43
Additional Course Requirements for Certification
Minimum Credits: 9
Optional Bilingual Endorsement
Students in Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education Majors may seek an Optional Bilingual Endorsement. Certain 2nd majors may not quailfy; please check with advisor.
Candidates must pass oral and written language proficiency tests (OPI and WPT) in English and in the target language before student teaching begins. Please contact the Early Childhood and Elementary Education Department for specific information on testing requirements and costs.
Required Credits: 12
Optional English as a Second Language Endorsement
Students in any Education Major (except Music and Physical Education) may pursue an optional English as a Second Language Endorsement.
Language Proficiency Testing: A score of Intermediate High on English Oral Proficiency Interviews (OPI) and a score of Advanced Low on English Written Proficiency (WPT) is required prior to starting student teaching.
Please contact the Early Childhood and Elementary Education Department for specific information on testing requirements and costs.
Required Credits: 15