2017-2018 Undergrad Catalog
Secondary Education, BA
For more information on the Secondary Education major
Required Credits: 30
Program Code: BA-SEC
With Optional Bilingual Endorsement: 42 credits required for Major and Endorsement (Program Code: BA-SEC-BLNG)
With Optional English as a Second Language Endorsement: 45 credits required for Major and Endorsement (Program Code: BA-SEC-ESLS)
With Optional Bilingual and ESL Endorsements: 57 credits required for Major and Endorsements (Program Code: BA-SEC-BESL)
With Optional Teaching Students with Disabilities (TSD) Endorsement:
Program Code: BA-SEC-TSD; 49 credits required for Major and Endorsements
With Optional TSD and Bilingual Endorsements:
Program Code: BA-SEC-TSDB; 61 credits required for Major and Endorsements
With Optional TSD and ESL Endorsements:
Program Code: BA-SEC-ESTS; 64 credits required for Major and Endorsements
With Optional TSD, Bilingual and ESL Endorsements:
Program Code: BA-SEC-BETS; 76 credits required for Major and Endorsements
Program Specific Policies:
- Students pursuing the Secondary Education major must also complete a second major: Click here for a list of approved majors.
- Prior to starting the required core courses for this major, students must:
- Complete 60 credits including UCC requirements.
- Attain a 3.0 or better cumulative GPA and earn a C grade or better in CIED 2120.
- Pass the Praxis CORE Academic Skills for Educators exam (#5751), or have the CORE waived with qualifying SAT or ACT scores. Click here for more information on the Praxis.
- Successfully complete an interview.
- Students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA with at least a C in every major course, and a 3.0 GPA in the education major to student teach and be recommended for certification.